Saturday, June 5, 2010

one kid can make a big difference

By Isaac

If you do something good to someone, then they will probably feel like doing something nice to some other people.  It's like a domino effect.  This can also happen with bad things.  If you do something bad to someone, they'll be in a bad mood and they'll probably do something sort of bad to someone else and on like that.

I've seen this happen a lot.  For example, Oliver and Silas (my 5 year old twin brothers) were speaking kindly to each other and playing nicely with their toys and when I went in there and watched them, I started smiling.  When they saw me, they gave me a hug.  So then I went in and saw my mom and felt like giving her a hug and a kiss on the cheek.  Then she was in a good mood.

Another example, at school there's this one kid named Colson who sort of cries a lot about getting hurt (even just a tiny bit).  When we were playing soccer, everyone tried to team up him to leave him out and make him cry.  So I told Colson I'd be on a team with him.  Then Colson felt better and kept smiling the rest of the day and seeing him smile made me feel good and when Joseph was way behind on his work, I helped him finish.  Maybe Colson and Joseph went home and were nice to their families and the domino effect kept going.

We got a book from the library one time about this and I always think about that book now.  The book is called Ordinary Mary's Extraordinary Deed.  I just found out there's even a blog and a website about the book.  The blog is right here.  The website is right here and it has lots of good ideas and stories on it.  Check it out!

1 comment:

  1. It amazes me that you understand this concept at such a young age. You and your brother are fantastic kids.

    ReplyDelete